October 2, 2000
Dr. E. Julius Dasch
NASA EPSCoR Program Manager
Education Division, Code FE
Washington, DC 20546-0001
On behalf of the three institutional members of the South Dakota NASA EPSCoR Preparation Grant Program (SD School of Mines & Technology, SD State University, and Augustana College), I am pleased to submit the attached Letter of Intent to submit proposals for the NASA EPSCoR 2000 program. This letter is in follow-up to Dave Atkinson's e-mail today stating that just one number from the research compendium must be listed for each of the three research areas. Please replace my letter of September 29th with this one. The tentative titles of our three research projects proposed under the compendium guidelines are:
1) Improved Precipitation Estimation and Severe Storm Identification in the Northern High Plains by Remote Sensing Approaches. Compendium:MSFC2.1 - Remote Sensing of Clouds, Precipitation, and Temperature
2) Investigation of Water and Nutrient Budgets in South Dakotas Upper Missouri River Watershed Using Remote Sensing, Numeric Models, and Field Measurements. Compendium:ESE21 (Resource Management).
3) Improving Sub-pixel Cover Estimates Using Multispectral, Multitemporal, and GIS Data: Applications for Surface-Atmosphere Exchanges over Forests and Wetlands. Compendium: ESE12 (Terrestrial Ecology).
For your information and that of the upcoming review team, please note that a significant amount of information regarding our efforts to reach this point in our planning is found at our NASA EPSCoR Preparation Grant website <http://sdspacegrant.sdsmt.edu/nasaepscor.htm>.
We look forward to hearing from you. If you have any questions or if I can provide any further information, please contact me. Thank you.
Sherry O. Farwell, Ph.D.
Director, South Dakota NASA EPSCoR Program
cc: Kevin Dalsted, SDSU
Dan Swets, Augustana College
David Benfield, SDSU Susan Maxwell, EROS Data Center
Letter of Intent
1. Program Title: NASA EPSCoR 2000: Experimental Program to Stimulate Competitive
2. Submitting (Lead) Institution: South Dakota School of Mines and Technology
3. State NASA EPSCoR Director: Dr. Sherry O. Farwell
4. Mailing address, telephone/fax number, and e-mail address of Director:
Sherry O. Farwell, Ph.D.
Dean, Graduate Education & Sponsored Programs and
Director, South Dakota Space Grant Consortium
SD School of Mines & Technology Phone: (605) 394-2493
501 E. Saint Joseph Street Fax: (605) 394-5360
Rapid City, SD 57701 E-mail: Sherry.Farwell@sdsmt.edu
The contact information for the State EPSCoR Chair in South Dakota is:
Dr. David A. Benfield, Ph.D.
Project Director, SD EPSCoR
Office of the Project Director
Box 2175 Phone: (605) 688-4317
South Dakota State University Fax: (605) 688-6003
Brookings, SD 57007-1396 E-mail: David_Benfield@sdstate.edu
5. Research Area(s) to be proposed:
Research Area 1
Research Area 2
Research Area 3
|Number from the Research Compendium||
|Title of Research from the Compendium||
Back To SD's NASA/EPSCoR Program website