SD Space Grant Consortium
Remembering our dear friend and colleague, Kevin Dalsted
Mr. Kevin Dalsted was a highly valued leader and researcher with the NASA South Dakota Space Grant Consortium for 23 years, which made him the “eldest” member of our Space Grant family. He served on the Consortium’s management team as Associate Director of Space Grant at South Dakota State University from 1996 until his retirement in 2014. Kevin brought a wealth of remote sensing and geographic information system expertise to Space Grant programs. His administrative support for Consortium research and educational programs was invaluable in promoting NASA's fellowship program among SDSU students and assisting with numerous other space-related educational projects throughout the state such as SDSU’s Aviation/Aerospace Career Education (ACE) Camp and Flandreau Indian School Success Academy. Without a doubt, Kevin enthusiastically helped inspire the next generation of explorers.
We will remember Kevin as a very kind, wise, and dear friend and colleague. The positive spirit of our management team is a lasting reflection of Kevin’s involvement. We fondly remember spending many quality hours with him on road trips as we would car pool to various Space Grant meetings around the state, making observations on affairs of the day and sharing our solutions to the world’s problems. Kevin was a very thoughtful and warm person with a wonderful dry sense of humor. He was great contributor to our NASA programs and he will be sorely missed by his work associates and all who were close to him.
We are so thankful to have had the opportunity to share a wonderful retirement dinner with Kevin in Brookings in October 2014. We extend our deepest sympathies to Kevin’s family, friends, and colleagues.
May our dear friend eternally rest in peace.
Management Team, NASA South Dakota Space Grant Consortium (SDSGC)
· Ed Duke – Director SDSGC (SD School of Mines & Technology, Rapid City)
· Tom Durkin – Deputy Director SDSGC (SD School of Mines & Technology, Rapid City)
· Christine Wood – Associate Director SDSGC (SD State University, Brookings)
· Gregg Johnson – Associate Director SDSGC (USGS EROS, Sioux Falls)
· Kristie Maher – Associate Director SDSGC (SD Discovery Center, Pierre)
· Drew Alton – Associate Director SDSGC (Augustana College, Sioux Falls)
· Brennan Jordan – Associate Director SDSGC (University of South Dakota, Vermillion)
· Troy Kilpatrick – Associate Director SDSGC (The Journey Museum, Rapid City)
· Peggy Norris – Deputy Director of Education and Outreach (Sanford Underground Research Facility, Lead)
· Nathan Lukkes – System Assistant VP for Research & Economic Development (SD Board of Regents, Pierre)