NASA and Space Grant "Educational
for Teachers, Students, and Home School Parents, Grades K-12
(NASA Education Updates from NASA's Earth Science Enterprise)
This page last updated on May 17, 2016
· Minecraft Camp at SDSU - July 24-29, 2016 (where 6th – 8th grade youth learn about science through gaming). First 30 students and 15 teachers free (a $450 and $1,025 per-person value respectively!)
· Gallery of Echoes at SDSU - August 1-5, 2016 (which combines art with aerospace for 6th - 8th graders). First 30 students and 15 teachers free (a $450 and $1,025 per-person value respectively!)
· Space Camp at Journey Museum (for students ages 10-14) - Aug. 8-12, 2016
· Kelly Lane Earth and Space Science Grant - This $5,000 grant provided by the SD Space Grant Consortium will be awarded annually to a select science or math teacher in SD to recognize and support outstanding teachers and innovative educational programs at the pre-college level. 2016 Application Instructions - click here to download in PDF or Word format.
· Dan Swets Robotics Materials Award - This $5,000 - $10,000 award is provided annually to select South Dakota teachers/educators of U.S. citizenship who have taken robotics training through the SDSGC, or who have sustained robotics programs in their classrooms or at their schools. 2016 Application Instructions - click here for PDF or Word format.
· "Finding Pluto" - Jan. 24, 2016 Presentation at Journey Museum (free to the public)
· NASA Wavelength - Ever wonder why? NASA Earth/Space Science resources for educators from elementary to college level.
· 2015 Project Innovation Grants "Call for Proposals" (closed for further applications until 2016 Call for Proposals is released)
· AstroCamp for Girls at SDSU originally scheduled for July will be re-scheduled in Fall 2015.
· Aerospace Career Education (ACE) Camp: Held at SDSU for high school students who want to find out first hand about aerospace, aviation, and related careers.
· Davis-Bahcall Scholars Program - A summer program supported in part by SD Space Grant where Davis-Bahcall Scholars spend one week digging deep into the science and engineering at the Sanford Underground Laboratory, based in Lead, SD and three weeks studying modern physics at Princeton University in New Jersey under world-renowned scholars and researchers. They also travel to research laboratories at home and possibly in Europe (funding permitting) to experience the world of modern scientific research. For high school seniors or college freshmen at time of application. College credit is offered. Click here for 2015 flyer.
· Earthshots - Earthshots introduces remote sensing by showing examples of how environmental changes look from space.
· Amazing Space - This website promote the science and majestic beauty of the universe for use in the classroom.
· Presentations such as "Mars Mania" and Images of Space from the Hubble Space Telescope to K-12 and general public audiences may be requested by contacting Tom Durkin. Educational programs will be granted based on staff availability.
· Powers of 10 - View the Milky Way at 10 million light years from the Earth. Then move through space towards the Earth in successive orders of magnitude and enter then enter the microscopic world!
· Planet Quest: "The Search for Another Earth"
· Tri-State Astronomical Society - Sioux Falls, SD
· SEDS - Students for the Exploration & Development of Space Click here for SDSM&T Chapter of SEDS (for college students)
· Earth from Space - Earth photos acquired by astronauts aboard NASA Space Shuttle. Over 315,000 images!
» More "Earth Photo" Websites: 1) Earth Observatory, 2) Visible Earth, and 3) Earth Science 'Picture of the Day'
Nine(8) Planets - A multimedia Tour of the Solar System
· SOHO (Solar & Heliospheric Observatory) - Exploring the Sun