NASA and Space Grant "Educational
for Teachers, Students, and Home School Parents, Grades K-12
(NASA Education Updates from NASA's Earth Science Enterprise)
This page last updated on Feb. 21, 2014
· Kelly Lane Earth and Space Science Grant - This $5,000 grant provided by the SD Space Grant Consortium will be awarded annually to a select science or math teacher in SD to recognize and support outstanding teachers and innovative educational programs at the pre-college level.
· Dan Swets Robotics Materials Award - This $5,000 - $10,000 award is provided annually to select South Dakota teachers/educators of U.S. citizenship who have taken robotics training through the SDSGC, or who have sustained robotics programs in their classrooms or at their schools.
· Aerospace Career Education (ACE) Camp: Held at SDSU for high school students who want to find out first hand about aerospace, aviation, and related careers.
· Davis-Bahcall Scholars Program - A summer program supported in part by SD Space Grant where Davis-Bahcall Scholars spend one week digging deep into the science and engineering at the Sanford Underground Laboratory, based in Lead, SD and three weeks studying modern physics at Princeton University in New Jersey under world-renowned scholars and researchers. They also travel to research laboratories at home and possibly in Europe (funding permitting) to experience the world of modern scientific research. For high school seniors or college freshmen at time of application. College credit is offered.
· Happy 50th Anniversary NASA! Take an Interactive Tour of NASA's First 50 Years
· Pete Conrad Spirit of Innovation Awards combine education, innovation and entrepreneurship by challenging high school students to design products using science and technology.
· Earthshots - Earthshots introduces remote sensing by showing examples of how environmental changes look from space.
· Amazing Space - This website promote the science and majestic beauty of the universe for use in the classroom.
· Presentations such as "Mars Mania" and Images of Space from the Hubble Space Telescope to K-12 and general public audiences may be requested by contacting Tom Durkin. Educational programs will be granted based on staff availability.
· Powers of 10 - View the Milky Way at 10 million light years from the Earth. Then move through space towards the Earth in successive orders of magnitude and enter then enter the microscopic world!
· Planet Quest: "The Search for Another Earth"
· SkyJinks - Provides an exciting and interactive opportunity to learn about weather.
· Virtual Skies - Explore the exciting worlds of aviation technology and air traffic management
· Tri-State Astronomical Society - Sioux Falls, SD
· TerraFly - Virtually "fly" over the entire U.S. Enter your zip code or street address and find your home!
· NASA Quest - is one of the LTP Internet sites that features interactive projects that allow students and teachers the opportunity to communicate with NASA scientists and researchers and experience the excitement of science as it is happening.
· Earth from Space - Excellent Earth Photos acquired by astronauts aboard NASA Space Shuttle. Over 315,000 images!
» More "Earth Photo" Websites: 1) Earth Observatory, 2) Visible Earth, and 3) Earth Science 'Picture of the Day'
· Astronomical Society of the Pacific - Books, posters, classroom aides, gifts, globes, slides, videotapes, software, etc.
Nine(8) Planets - A multimedia Tour of the Solar System
· Great Images in NASA (GRIN) - A library of NASA images that can be browsed by subject and downloaded.
· Space Story - "Space Story" is the official web-site of Astronaut Story Musgrave to share his experiences as an astronaut, marine, surgeon, scientist and literary critic.
· The Sun
· SOHO (Solar & Heliospheric Observatory) - Exploring the Sun
· The Lessons Plans Page - Home to over 4,000 free lesson plans - making teaching easier!